Thursday, February 7, 2013

Fruit of your Passion

I am close to working for 10 months in my current company. I have not stayed this long in any other job, except the one I got when I was working three times a week for a Church as their bookkeeper. There have been offers for me lately but I do not seem to be interested in them, even if they're offering me a higher salary and a regular post. You see, I am only a project hire employee which means that when this project ends so does my employment. I have had a renewal of four months and that contract is expiring by the end of next month.

I know I will be given another contract since I was the one who started or piloted  under the VisMin operation. I don't know if that will earn merit in terms of changing my status into a "regular" employee and that remains to be seen. I was just confident that I will be renewed for an extension/ another contract since I have fared well, based on my KRA.

Today, I was not expecting any good news at all. We had a meeting at around 10AM and ended up at around 2PM. We were not able to have lunch up until we finished with the meeting. Meetings are draining but the upside is that you learn and things get resolved. After lunch I was back to my laptop, checking e-mails and updating my monitoring list when my boss called me up. I was thinking "Oh great! There might be a problem..." since we just parted after meeting and lunch now she's calling!

To my surprise, she just called me to inform me that she has all the materials I need, my payslips, and I have a letter. I realized then that I was not able to inform her about my expiring contract. I then told her about my status and she assured me that a new contract is on it's way. I was so happy to hear that! I love working for this company and I have not had major problems since I started. And I love my boss. I have developed a closer relationship with her that she really looks out for me and takes good care of me. She's a great boss- encouraging, helpful and insightful. I wish I could be like her if in case I stay for even longer.

I am just ecstatic that I'm still here and I have a job to keep me happy. It truly is great if you do things with passion because it becomes fruitful. It makes sense to you, and does not make you feel like you are burdened or bombarded with senseless information and work. Construction, operation and customer relations may not have been my strengths but I acquired a certain respect for it and for people who make things/systems work. Passion fuels us to become better and in return we reap rewards. I have learned that whatever you may be doing, be it your strength or not, as long as you have passion, you will excel.

How about you, what's your passion?

xx,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment