Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Post-Election Thoughts and Everything in Between

Hi Guys!


Since the election yesterday was automated, results have been swift and some candidates have been announced as winners in other cities and provinces. This is my first time to vote. I have experienced "voting" but it was a very small scale kind of "government". I practiced that kind of "suffrage" in school and I was really active back then and somehow, it fueled my interest politics that's the reason why I usually watch the news, read the paper and took up Political Science.

I really wanted to participate this time and exercise my right to suffrage as I know my vote might make a difference. Months leading up to the election, I have planned on really reading up on the candidates, researching on  their backgrounds and qualifications so I will have a determinant on why I should choose them. Unfortunately, I have been busy with work and I was not able to research on my candidates like I have planned to do. However, since articles, news is a click away, I got to read up on a few candidates when I have time at work. I would also check the surveys to gauge the candidates. Days leading to the election, I relied on a few read-ups and my conviction. Most of all, I prayed before entering the precinct and before shading the names of my candidates.

My experience, however, is one for the books. Given that I woke up late, I expected there was a long queue  leading to the precinct. Oh boy, was I in for a surprise! I went with my sister since it was also her first time to vote and we are registered on the same precinct. From the COMELEC (Commission on Elections) website, we were assigned to vote at Buntatala- Tagbak Elementary School. When we went there, our names weren't on the list. We were informed that they separated the Tagbak voters into another school. So my sister and I went back and proceeded to another school and gladly found our name. What surprised us was the long queue! Good thing those in line are disciplined and did not cause everyone too much trouble.

The queue from where I sat.
Just to keep us hydrated, I bought soda and water for the both of us. While waiting, we kept looking at our phone just to remember our "lineup" for the Senatorial race and the local council, and played Candy Crush on our phone! My sister and I waited in line for a total of 2 hours and after a few minutes, we were done!

At long last! Votes counted. 

I don't know about your experience, but overall mine was pleasant. I am pleased that I voted and that most of the candidates I voted for won. Nobody bribed nor paid me to vote for them. At least my hope in my chosen candidates did not wane.

Did you go out and vote?

xx,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment